mandag den 30. september 2013

Day 30 (Bangkok and Chiang Mai)

Bangkok has provided me with the first real culture shock of my journey. I was more or less mentally prepared for the challenges Dubai, Vietnam and Cambodia would throw my way (having read up on the destinations carefully in advance), but arriving straight on Khao San road in Thailand, I had no idea of what to expect. 

The Thais are a wonderfully friendly and welcoming (although also incredibly proud and fiercely tempered) people as a whole, and after about 11 days here I am really loving the place, the people and the endless possibilities this country has to offer. However, the Thais in the tourist mecca madness that is Khao San have a very different mentality, and you instantly get the feeling that the endless throng of rowdy tourists has had a severely detrimental influence in this area on the otherwise legendary Thai hospitality. But once you've figured out that 9 out of 10 people are either lying to you or trying to scam their way into your pockets, you quickly learn to navigate it and can sit back and enjoy the ride. One thing is for certain though - Thailand is nothing like either Vietnam or Cambodia, and the magnitude of the cultural differences has been a surprise. 

After staying in a couple of different hotels and hostels to check out various parts of the city, Bangkok has really opened up and revealed why so many people love coming here. Once you get outside of the tourist zone (which, admittedly, really is a lot of fun for a while!), the locals are wonderful, the sights are amazing and the atmosphere extraordinary. I have made it a point to make sure to get lost in strange places as often as possible, which has led to many late nights in the cheerful company of lovely people I would normally never meet.

Some of my favorite moments have been bicycling through the backstreets of the city at night, going out in various parts of the city, meeting the professional muay thai fighters at legendary Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, the city parks in early morning and late evening, massive local and international marketplaces, the Grand Palace murals, the Temple of the Dawn, Wat Pho, Chinatown and simply taking in the atmosphere of small backalley bars as well as participating in the great Khao San party circus (yes, including the comical ping pong freakshows...).

PICTURES (BANGKOK)https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152135143657262.1073741834.649632261&type=1&l=fb88c4e077

A long and arduous bus ride from Bangkok behind me, I am currently in Chiang Mai. This place is far removed from the bustling metropolis to the south, and it is an extaradinary, endless amusement park for anyone who enjoys outdoor activities of any kind. So far I have ziplined and absailed through the rainforest, played with tiger cubs (unbelievably fun!), gotten thoroughly lost and made unusual friends. This place can be pricy compared to other parts of the region, but to say that the experiences are worth every 'baht' would be a gross understatement! I cannot recommend this place enough. Tomorrow and the coming days I head for the elephant conservation center to begin my training as an elephant 'mahout', and then onward to trekking the mountains! I am excited! :D

PICTURES (CHIANG MAI)https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152135168947262.1073741835.649632261&type=1&l=8bed0a829d


----

Update: Before I had a chance to upload this, I had to get on the bus to Lampang and the Thai Elephant Conservation Center. I have now just returned to Chiang Mai, and am still completely blown away, humbled and honored by the experience. 
Rarely in my life have I taken part in anything as rewarding and awe inspiring as riding one of these deceptively powerful, majestic creatures bareback in the pouring rain through deep rivers and up impossible inclines into the mountains surrounded by some of the most incredible scenery I could imagine. 

Feeding, bathing, training, performing with, waking up, riding and caring for 'my own' elephant (a lovely 16-year old, 3.5 ton girl named Wannalee) for hours upon hours for 3 days among elephant mahouts and their families who have dedicated their entire lives to their respective elephants has been an absolute privilege that I will never ever forget. 

Needless to say, I am enjoying myself! :D   


Pictures will never do this experience justice, but I will try to upload some regardless!

PICTURES (ELEPHANT CONSERVATION CENTER)https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152135197947262.1073741836.649632261&type=1&l=5479655d35


Tomorrow's mission: rock climbing at Crazy Horse Buttress! :D
  

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar